Insta-Burger King in Jacksonville, Florida was purchased from Keith Kramer and Matthew Burns in 1954 and given a new name: Burger King. New owners, James W. McLamore and David Edgerton opened the first store in Miami. In 1959, the company went national when McLamore and Edgerton sold their first franchise.
Burger King became known for its flame-broiled burgers, quickly expanding outside the U.S. Today, there are over 14,000 stores in almost 100 countries worldwide.
Company headquarters is located in Miami. Of the 10 Burger King locations in Miami, seven of them are still operational in their original 1950s location.
– Rebecca Hastings, The 100 Companies