Thinking about takeout? Single-use plastics are a carry-out food staple that often end up in waterways. You can help create a cleaner Gulf Coast by using less plastic when dining out. Here are some tips:
• Skip the plastic straw or bring a reusable option.
• Pass on plastic utensils.
• Bring your own reusable bag.
• Support local restaurants participating in the Plastic Free Gulf Coast program. With initial funding from the Gulf of Mexico Alliances Gulf Star Program and continued support from other grants, Plastic Free Gulf Coast includes restaurants in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
Find a map of participating restaurants here.
– Amanda Nalley, Gulf of Mexico Alliance, The New Orleans 100